Vitamix Series: Day 1, Chicken Tortilla Soup

Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Last night, we tried out the Chicken Tortilla Soup from the cookbook that came with the Vitamix. Let me just talk about the cookbook for a sec here. Its HUGE. We're talking 350 PAGES HUGE. Smoothies, soups, ice cream, sauces, dips, breads, (yes, I said breads) breakfast treats - so many choices! I can't rave enough about this spiral bound beauty. 

After posting a photo of the Chicken Tortilla Soup on Instagram and Facebook - lots of people requested the recipe to this soup. Super easy. Dinner was done in 10 minutes total, starting with pulling the veggies out of the fridge down to pouring the soup into the bowl. 

The cast of characters are as follows:

Soup Base:
  • 1 1/2 cups Chicken Broth (or Veggie. Add more if you like it super soupy...see what I did there?)
  • 1/2 Roma Tomato (I used a whole cause I just didn't want to cut one in half..it was small)
  • 1/2 Carrot
  • 1/2 Stalk of Celery
  • 1/4 Jalapeno (add the seeds and/or more of the pepper for a good kick)
  • 2 Tablespoons of Onion (I added more like 1/4 of the onion - don't judge me!)
  • 1 Garlic Clove (or 2 if you're feeling fancy)
  • 1 Teaspoon (roughly measured) of Taco Seasoning
  • Dash of Cumin
Add all the ingredients above in that order (that's what the cookbook says - for the Vitamix, I doubt it matters too much) and let her rip on the soup preset. If you have you have the Vitamix but no preset option for soup, start the blender at variable 1 and slowly increase to variable 5. Leave on for 5 minutes or until heavy steam escapes the vented lid. If you didn't know, the Vitamix actually COOKS the soup while blending. The friction of the blades with the contents is so powerful your soup will be steaming hot! 

For those of you without a Vitamix, blend all ingredients until you have a soup base, then transfer to a pot to simmer until hot or you can use the microwave. 

Add your chicken, (please pre-cook- can be done in the time the blender is running for the soup base!) corn, beans - basically whatever you'd like into the hot soup base and turn it on for 5-10 seconds until you get the consistency you'd like (chopped or shredded).  Pour into bowls and top with cheese (I used the weight watchers version), sour cream (light for me!), and tortilla chips (if they are stale, even better!) Pretty low cal right?

Total recipe will yield about 3 cups - or two giant bowls in the Garcia household!

THAT'S IT! See, so easy. I'll have to figure out the calorie content and/or weight watchers points later. All I know is it tasted fabulous, I used low cal options where I could and it was a whole bunch of veggies and protein! 


No comments:

Post a Comment

 
FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS