Oh So Easy Mac & Cheesy

Tuesday, April 26, 2011

I love Mac & Cheese. I love the stuff out of the box just as I love the gourmet fancy stuff. Last night I made some baked mac & cheese and everyone in the house loved it. The beauty is - it was super easy!

I used only what I had left over from other dishes and I will be the first to let you know, it's probably not the best choice for a healthy dinner, but it is a little less fat and all the comfort!

Ingredients I had on hand:
  • 2 1/2 cups mixed colby jack shredded cheese (lowfat)
  • 1 lb bowtie macaroni
  • 1 cup Skim ricotta cheese (fat free)
  • 1 1/4 cup milk (skim)
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1 tsp pepper
  • 2 cups of leftover easter (or whatever meat you want!)
  • Handful of breadcumbs
My measurements are rough, cause I usually don't measure. I cook with my eyes judging what to add in by what it looks like.  I am aware this may be the worst recipe ever described, but it's the way I cook :-)

1. Boil the pasta. I add a little salt to my boiling water to add a little flavor to the pasta, but you don't have to. As the pasta is boiling until tender, in a small saucepan add both cheeses, milk, and salt pepper and let it sit on low/medium heat (depending on if you are in a hurry or not.)

2. Preheat the oven to 425.

3. While keeping an eye on the cheese sauce (stirring occasionally to ensure even melting action) chop the ham (or whatever other meat) into small chunks.

4. Drain the pasta when done and pour the melted (should be by now) cheese mixture over the noodles. It will be very "saucey" but will cook down in the oven. Add the chopped meat and stir it all together. If you are not using left over meat and it is raw, please make sure to cook it prior to mixing it in.

5. Pour the entire mixture into a baking dish and spead evenly.


6. Cover the top with breadcrumbs and shove it in the oven! Cook it for 20 minutes or so, or until the sauce looks thickened.


7. I like the top of my mac & cheese crispy, so if that's the way you like it too - switch from baking to broil for a minute or two at the very end to make sure it is living up to it's full cripy goodness potential.


8. Let it cool (slightly) and then devour. If you've done it correctly you will have a pan that looks like this:



The pan is actually empty now, my brother went back for thirds. :-)





No comments:

Post a Comment

 
FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS